Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Restorative Snow Day

Last night I taught my first restorative yoga class.  The main difference between a restorative class and a vinyasa flow class is the use of supportive props.  In a restorative class the yoga teachers use bolsters, blocks, straps, blankets, and balls to aid their students to loosen up their muscles and completely relax.  Each pose is held for a long time.  It seemed like an eternity sometimes, but I am so glad I got the opportunity to teach this class because it also served as a lesson on slowing down.  Instead of the fast-paced vinyasa flow that I'm so accustomed to, I had to rethink or reconsider why these students came to class, what they were expecting, and how I was going to lead them through a gentle journey of turning inward.  It was a great and successful challenge and ultimately, everyone had a happy glow leaving the studio.

This act of slowing down can also be translated into the real world of rushing to point A to point B.  Why do myself and others rush to complete so much in one day?  Why do we over schedule ourselves or our children into a hectic fury? I feel anxious thinking about it.  I am a firm believer that there is no such thing as being late.  You are always exactly where you are supposed to be at all times.  No, this doesn't mean I'm late everywhere, but I don't like rushing.

As I begin an exciting curriculum at the Institute of Integrative Nutrition, I'm learning ways to slow down as a means of appreciation.  Slow down eating by chewing more, slow down life by doing less. One really great thing to try is to only do 10 things per day.  For example: 1.shower 2. go to work 3. yoga 4. feed the animals 5. call my mom, etc.  If you are writing down more that 10 things maybe delegate a task to a loved one (honey, can you do the dishes?) or just cross it off the list.  This tool is helpful way to keep me sane as I finish yoga teacher training and start IIN.  I hope you may try it because you might enjoy doing less.

No comments:

Post a Comment