Sunday, January 9, 2011

A New Year: So far, so good!

It has been one week since all of the holiday festivities and now that they are over I can start to settle into myself once again. But, before I begin to reacquaint myself to my routine schedule and ease into a new pattern, I want to take a few moments to be present. This year I refused to make resolutions. I loathe that word because I associate it with pushing myself into something ridiculously difficult at the beginning of the year only to burn out a month or two later. For instance, last year I meticulously calculated and documented each minute I worked out, what I did for exercise and to make it even more torturous, my weight on a daily basis. Ugh, why did I do that? So this year I'm setting intentions for the year. Intentions to amp up my at home yoga practice, to stay focused and avoid procrastination, to remain authentic to myself and all the new people I will be meeting, and to give myself compassion when I slip. I am human, therefore I will slip. And that is OK.

Setting goals for the New Year is a great thing and I love the feeling of starting something fresh with a new outlook and attitude. Even the idea gets me excited! These intentions give yourself permission for transformation or perhaps for reinvention. But, it is also important to allow yourself to make mistakes and expose our vulnerability, my primary lesson for 2010 that I am passing over for 2011. About a week ago I found a document on my laptop titled "Before I Turn 33." I busted out in laughter because they are grandiose! Here's the list:

write a novel
write for ELLE, Vogue, Vanity Fair, Health, Fitness, Yoga Journal
own a gallery/boutique
get my MBA
design my own accessory line
learn how to sew
have a fantastic art show in p-town, new york, LA
buy a new house with my own art studio
run the Boston Marathon
learn Spanish, French, and Italian languages
love myself

So I have one year left to complete this list! Actually, I know I will not do that, but I did complete the last item on this list: Love myself.
It has taken me 32 years to accomplish it, so I must say that I am quite proud. My wish for all of you reading this blog is for you to love yourselves too.

No comments:

Post a Comment