Monday, May 16, 2011

The Husband can cook vegetarian too!!

Monday night I finally got home around 7:45 from an inspiring and challenging yoga class with David at South Boston Yoga, and was too exhausted to cook.  To my surprise, my sweet husband, Eben started dinner.  It was the first time he has cooked for me since I turned vegan in Sept/2010.  I was beginning to think he was punishing me for my drastic choice.  Before I became vegan, I was a meat eating woman from Texas who really loved her beef brisket and so my decision really confused my dear husband.  Suddenly, he didn't know what or how to cook for me.  Plus I was learning how to cook for both of us andhoping it would taste decent, maybe even good. Luckily, I'm a quick learner and I love veggies. 

I've since abandoned veganism (sorry I really love eggs and raw honey) and now I'm just vegetarian. Wait, no flexetarian ( I occasionally eat fish), but I mostly eat vegan/veg.  The reason I stopped eating vegan was simply because my body needed more.  I found myself light headed and ungrounded so I slowly introduced eggs, cheese, and fish back into my diet.  This is the recipe Hubby made and I also added the one I made for Danielle's birthday BBQ. Enjoy!!!

Chickpea & Artichoke Salad (2 Variations--cold & warm)
1 can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
1 can artichokes (cut into quarters)
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 clove of garlic minced
1 tbls olive oil
2 tbls balsamic
1 tbls dijon mustard
S & P to taste

heat the oil in a large non stick pan and add your onion and garlic stirring to not burn the garlic.  Add the chickpeas and artichokes, salt and pepper and stir.  Add everything else and stir.  Serve over greens...yummy!

Chickpea Salad with mustard vinagrette (a variation from the whole foods version)
1 can chickpeas
3 carrots chopped
3 celery stalks chopped
2 tomatos
2 tbls capers
1 cup watercress
1 avocado (save for last)

for the Vinagrette:
2 lemons
1-2 tbls dijon mustard
2 tbls olive oil
salt & pepper to taste



In a bowl, mix the lemon juice and mustard together and add S&P.  Sometimes it's nice to add fresh rosemary, basil, or whatever your favorite herb to the mix. Slowly wisk in the olive oil. 
In the same bowl add the remaining ingredients.  If you plan to make this ahead of time then save the avocado for just before serving so it won't turn brown and look ugly.

BONUS:  put your leftovers in a food processor with some bread crumbs and egg for great chickpea patties.  Form patties and place in the oven at 350 for 10 minutes. Flip patties and give it another 10 minutes in the oven.  Serve in a pita, roll, or over salad greens!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you posted this recipe! I was thinking about that chickpea salad over the weekend :) YUM.

    ReplyDelete