Tuesday, February 8, 2011

We all have off days.

I taught my first community class at South Boston Yoga on Saterday with a group of my fellow teacher trainees and I think we led a fantastic class!  It was the first time teaching at this studio and it was also the largest group of people I've ever taught.  I was so nervous I could barely think, but I got through it.  Afterwards, I was visiting with a friend of mine, Justin, that I haven't seen in months, and telling him about my nervousness.  He said, yea well you haven't been doing this for that long have you?

I said no, I haven't.  I've only been teaching for 2 months and yes, I still get jitters.  That's OK!! 
Why was I being so hard on myself instead of trusting myself?  Then it occurred to me that I'm resisting change. 

There has been so many changes I've made in my life over the past year, that sometimes I feel stressed out and overwhelmed.  Even though all these changes are positive: yoga training, new diet, online classes at the Institute of Integrative Nutrition,  the old version of myself feels lost.  My body and mind just aren't in sync and this puts me in a funk of a mood. Thoughts of what I want to accomplish during my day/week/month/year bombard me and I forget to calm down.

It wasn't until Justin reminded me that I'm a very new yoga teacher that I was able to remember my new self and values again. So Sunday, I slowed down and did nothing but accept myself as myself, and it felt awesome.

1 comment: