Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Black Beans over Quinoa

My family mostly cooked Mexican food growing up. This is my comfort food, the food that makes me feel better and that I must have at least twice a week.   Only most Mexican food has loads of lard, butter, and cheese: all things I've been avoiding because of health problems and now I'm allergic to cheese.  I've been trying to recreate these recipes into healthier, tastier versions. The dynamic relationship between sweet and spicy is what makes this dish fantastic.  Please enjoy!


Black Beans over Quinoa

1 tbls olive oil
1 can black beans
1 can red kidney beans
1/2 chopped onion
1/2 cup corn (frozen organic is perfect)
1 chopped poblano pepper
2 chopped tomatos
4 tbls mexican chili powder
1 tbls ground cumin
2 tbls raw cocoa powder
2 cloves minced garlic
S & P to taste
1/4 cup water
juice of 1 lime
1 avocado
1 mango

Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan, add onions until they sweat. Add pepper, frozen corn and beans.  Mix in chili powder, cocoa, salt, pepper, lime juice, garlic, cumin and water and let simmer.  Start the quinoa, following directions on the box.  If the beans get too dry add more water. salt and pepper to taste.
Serve beans over quinoa and garnish with avocado and mango. 

I love tons of avocado & mango on mine! There really are beans underneath!
pretty mango!

No comments:

Post a Comment